Surrey Firefighters charity up $100,000
The Surrey Firefighter's Charitable Society received more than $100,000 this month from last year's Mayor's Charity Ball.
The ball, held Sept. 9, 2011, was held at the 104 Avenue Centre in North Surrey.
The proceeds go to the Surrey Firefighters' Endowment Fund, which supports more than 80 local charities.
The final tally for the event was $101,768, which was given to the Surrey Firefighters Charitable Society on March 7.
The purposes of the society are to:
• To provide relief from poverty
• To assist members of the community that have been affected by traumatic wounds, injuries, or episodes.
• To raise money for medical and health care research
• To provide bursaries for community service
• Sponsoring programs that promote staying in school
• Delivering programs that offer positive life experiences and enhance self-esteem.