Surrey hosts first walk to help support the homeless
Surrey is joining about 40 cities across the country in hosting a walk to benefit the homeless this Saturday.
If you think you have it in you to brave the evening, as many homeless do every night, then you may be up for the event, called the Coldest Night of the Year.
It features a five- or 10-kilometre route and supports Canadian organizations serving the homeless on any given night.
The Surrey Urban Mission Society (SUMS) is joining in the walk this year, making Surrey the first city in Metro Vancouver to participate.
SUMS offers a variety of programs to people in the Surrey community who are living in poverty and those who are homeless.
The walk will begin and end at Chuck Bailey Recreation Centre, 13458 107 Ave. with soup and hot chocolate to be served upon completion of the walk. Entertainment and some special surprises will be on-site as well. (A special note for runners – due to the inclement weather at this time of year, people are being asked to walk to ensure that no accidents take place due to snow or ice underfoot).
Coldest Night of the Year partners raise money in the walk by recruiting teams of walkers who register to participate and fundraise. Each partner is free to recruit teams to walk for them in any location across Canada.
SUMS is inviting the public to take part in this event by:
• Being a team captain and recruiting walkers who raise pledges for SUMS;
• Participating as a walker for one of the registered teams and raising pledges;
• Participating as a sponsor either with a donation of cash, services, or goods for the event (contact the Surrey Urban Mission at 604 581–5172 or by email at email@example.com for further information);
• Participating as a volunteer during the event;
• Encouraging friends and family members in other locations to log on and pledge their support to the SUMS;
• Challenging another school, community organization, business colleagues, family members, friends, neighbours, etc. to walk, sponsor or volunteer for the event.
To register, go to www.coldestnightoftheyear – click on the location tab – then on Surrey and register your information on the page that comes up.
The walk across Canada takes place this year on Saturday, Feb. 23. Registration opens at 4 p.m. and walkers begin walking at 5 p.m.