Television Listings

"Titanic" stars donate to final survivor

 Millvina Dean, the youngest survivor of the Titanic which sank in 1912, peers through a porthole from the sunken liner at the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich, England, in this August 29 1994 file photo. - Reuters
Millvina Dean, the youngest survivor of the Titanic which sank in 1912, peers through a porthole from the sunken liner at the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich, England, in this August 29 1994 file photo.
— image credit: Reuters

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - "Titanic" stars Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet and the film's director James Cameron have responded to a challenge and donated $30,000 to support the last survivor of the Titanic in her last years, a representative for DiCaprio said Monday.

The survivor, 97-year-old Millvina Dean, has reportedly resorted to selling her autograph to pay her nursing home bills in Southampton, the English city from which "Titanic" began its fateful maiden voyage in 1912.

Dean was only 9 weeks old when her family traveled on Titanic in hopes of beginning a new life in the United States. Her father was one of the 1,517 casualties after the supposedly unsinkable ship hit an iceberg in the Atlantic.

DiCaprio, Winslet and Cameron made their combined $30,000 donation after Irish author and photographer Don Mullan publicly challenged them to match his donation, said Ken Sunshine, a spokesman for DiCaprio. Mullan, who photographed Dean for an exhibition, made his appeal last month in the Irish Independent newspaper.

The 1997 drama "Titanic" made more than $1.8 billion at the worldwide box office, making it the highest-grossing film of all time in figures not adjusted for inflation. It went on to win 11 Oscars, including best picture.

(Reporting by Alex Dobuzinskis; Editing by Dean Goodman and Bill Trott)

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
9-year-old girl lured from Surrey bedroom and sexually assaulted
 
Convicted serial rapist apologizes for Langley crime, says he has changed
 
Teen killed in car crash
Pitt Meadows mayor will not seek re-election
 
Burrards lacrosse player honoured
 
Almost a century of The Progress now online
School start date undetermined
 
Province re-commits to new Surrey school space
 
Tour bus crash south of Merritt, Coquihalla shut down

Community Events, August 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Aug 28 edition online now. Browse the archives.