Woman pleads guilty three times

Five bullets, six criminal charges, three guilty pleas.A 20-year-old Surrey woman who shot a Port Moody man five times avoided trial this week by pleading guilty.Monday, Tiffany Madden stood up in the prisoner’s dock, bowed her head and quietly spoke the word “guilty” three times after Port Coquitlam Provincial Court Judge Anthony Spence asked the Surrey woman if she understood the charges.Madden was originally charged with six crimes, including attempted murder, but admitted to robbery using a firearm, using a firearm during an offence and aggravated assault. A sentencing hearing is set for Feb. 8, when the other three counts are expected to be stayed.After the conviction, prosecutor Craig Giles outlined how Madden shot the victim at least five times with a 9mm semiautomatic pistol in the man’s apartment Feb. 21 of this year.The victim, then 31, had met Madden through a friend about a week earlier, Giles said, and often bragged about his wealth. When he found out Madden and a friend were conspiring to rob him, he got a gun for protection, the court heard.Shortly before 11 p.m. Feb. 21, the man invited Madden and a friend into his Guildford Way suite and, about 30 minutes later, Madden shot him in the face, chest, pelvis and right arm, the court heard.Giles said the friend fled the apartment while Madden stayed behind for at least 90 minutes to give the man she had shot medical assistance, offering him a glass of water and towel.The man was weak but managed to throw the weapon off the balcony, the court heard. He then called the friend who was in his apartment during the shooting to retrieve the firearm.When the victim asked Madden to call for an ambulance, Madden dialed 911 but hung up. She left his suite at 1 a.m., the court heard, stealing some personal items, including a cell phone.PoMo Police officers arrived 20 minutes later and found the victim in a “semi-unconscious state,” Giles said. He was rushed to Royal Columbian Hospital in New Westminster.Giles said the man is lucky to be alive as the bullets narrowly missed his internal organs; the bullet that hit him in the face “would have been fatal had it entered the head on a slightly different angle,” the prosecutor told the court.Giles did not say if drugs were involved, although police said after the shooting they may have played a factor.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Arrests of pipeline protesters in Burnaby signal start of long battle
RCMP apprehend suspects following violent crime spree
ELECTION 2014: Port Moody council eager to get on with city business
Hand over the driving reins to Operation Red Nose
911 operators kick off annual toy drive
Slow-moving lava hits first house in Hawaii town
Home is where her art is
Two police officers hospitalized after being rammed by stolen truck in Surrey
SLIDESHOW: Step inside the Cloverdale Mall

Community Events, November 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Nov 20 edition online now. Browse the archives.