News

TV reporter part of large child sex investigation

Ron Bencze. -
Ron Bencze.
— image credit:

Global BC reporter Ron Bencze, who was charged with several sex-related offenses last month, is part of a large investigation and police believe there could be more alleged victims.

Surrey RCMP spokesman Cpl. Drew Grainger told CTV News that the investigation into Bencze is still underway, and additional children are being interviewed.

"It's a very large active investigation, which is ongoing," Grainger said. "There's still several witnesses that our serious crimes investigators are still speaking to and we are still trying to determine if there are any other victims that have been identified in this matter."

Bencze, 44, was scheduled in Surrey Provincial Court Monday morning, but a lawyer appeared on his behalf. His next appearance is Feb. 28.

The veteran reporter was charged in January with one count of sexual assault, two counts of sexual interference of a person under 16, and two counts of invitation to touching some one under 16 years old. The offenses are alleged to have taken place between 2001 and 2011.

He has since been suspended from his job at Global BC and was also suspended from coaching involvement with the Surrey United Soccer Club.

- with files from CTV BC

Comments are closed

You might like ...

Sugar, spice and doing something nice
 
A new look for old books
 
Tamanawis students provide a merry Christmas
Signs of life at stalled Cloverdale mall redevelopment project
 
COLUMN: The stateless – no place to call home
 
Douglas Day honours Langley’s pioneers
Helping Hands for Painted Turtles
 
Andy Bhatti helping the homeless at hockey tournament
 
Jim Cuddy riding rails with CP Holiday Train

Community Events, November 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Nov 27 edition online now. Browse the archives.