Accused murderer ordered to stand trial
A 29-year-old man has been ordered to stand trial in connection with the alleged murder of another man in Surrey last summer.
Lester Olivia Buezo Oseguera, who also goes by several other aliases, was charged with murder and four other weapons-related charges in late August. He was arrested after a man's body was found in a house in a Whalley neighbourhood near Kalmar and Hansen Roads on Aug. 30, 2010.
The deceased man was identified by his family as Jose Hector Luna Morales, 28.
RCMP officers were initially called to investigate a reported disturbance and were told by a neighbour that she heard shots from a nearby house. As the Mounties approached the house, they were confronted by an armed man in the front yard who fired at them before fleeing on foot. Neither officer was hurt.
The man was located a few blocks away, with the help of a police dog.
At the time, police said it was unlikely the shooting was random and that the accused and the victim "had some degree of familiarity" with one another.
Oseguera's trial was ordered after a preliminary inquiry in Surrey Provincial Court earlier in May. The case will now be heard in B.C. Supreme Court in New Westminster. A date for the trial will be set on June 16.
- with files from Dan Ferguson