News

Surrey man guilty of manslaughter

  - File Photo / The Leader
— image credit: File Photo / The Leader

A Surrey man was found not guilty of second-degree murder and attempted murder last week in connection with a 2010 knife attack.

New Westminster Supreme Court Justice Paul Williamson instead found Iqbal Singh Vinepal guilty of manslaughter and aggravated assault. The 56-year-old stabbed Naib Singh Toor to death and injured Razia Salaam during a dispute nearly two years ago.

The victim and accused were all known to each other.

Vinepal's lawyer Dil Gosal said the court found that his client was too drunk to have formed the intent to kill and that the reliability of Salaam's testimony was questioned.

Vinepal's next court appearance is Sept. 20.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

B.C.-only wines to come to some grocery stores
 
Guilty plea in Langley arson attack
 
Pedestrian dies crossing South Surrey highway
Boy, 3, hit and abandoned at Surrey bus stop
 
Surrey murder victim identifed as Jaylen Sandhu, 17
 
Planned park-in on 72 Avenue cancelled
Two injured in four-vehicle crash in Langley
 
A unique move to Mission
 
UBC scientist says chinook salmon may be wiped out

Community Events, December 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Dec 18 edition online now. Browse the archives.