Teen who wielded axe appeals
The teen convicted of striking Surrey’s Michael Levy in the back of the neck with an axe and paralyzing him for life is appealing his prison sentence.
The lawyer for 18-year-old Enrique Quintana filed the appeal Tuesday.
Rishi Gill called the 10-year sentence for aggravated assault beyond the appropriate range for a similar crime.
“I think the fact the judge almost doubled the Crown’s range gave us sufficient grounds to proceed,” Gill said.
Last month, B.C. Provincial Court Judge Kenneth Ball handed Quintana a 10-year prison term for his role in the October 2006 attack on Levy at a youth dance at Tynehead Community Hall. With credit for time served, the sentence amounts to just over eight years in jail.
That was more than the four years Gill suggested, and even more than the six-year term Crown prosecutor Michaela Donnelley proposed.
“We appreciate the public may think this is ridiculous (that he’s appealing), but the key issue for everyone to remember is that, as a precedent, this just doesn’t seem like an appropriate sentence,” Gill said.
“This is one of the highest sentences that’s ever been imposed in Canada for a guy who was a youth when he committed aggravated assault – this is right at the very top.”