Convicted rapist to finally be deported

More than two years after he pleaded guilty to abducting and sexually assaulting a Surrey woman, Somali immigrant Mohamed Hagi Mohamud is being deported.

Sometime next week – the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) won’t say exactly when – the 37-year-old will be placed on a jet for the long flight back to his native country.

It has taken as long as it has to deport Mohamud because he was originally admitted to Canada as a Geneva Convention refugee – a person fearing political persecution in his native country.

Under Canadian law, such refugees cannot be returned to their country of origin unless they are considered a physical threat and only after a time-consuming process is carried out to develop a “danger opinion” about the risk the deported person will face upon return.

Mohamud managed to delay proceedings even further by arguing that he should be sent to the neighbouring country of Djibouti, not war-torn Somalia.

He claimed he was really from Djibouti, but was unable to prove it.

Mohamud pleaded guilty in November of 2005 to sexual assault causing bodily harm and unlawful confinement for taking Surrey resident Erika Martyn captive near a SkyTrain station.

He forced her to walk to his basement suite in the 14000 block of Kindersley Drive, where he repeatedly assaulted her.

Martyn was able to flee to a neighbour’s house, who called police.

As she ran down the road, Mohamud followed, “yelling threats and waving a possible weapon in the air,” according to a description in a parole board written decision.

Martyn, who asked that the usual ban on the publication of a sexual assault victim’s name be lifted, said the attack left her with long-lasting physical and emotional injuries.

During her ordeal, she was choked and repeatedly hit in the face by Mohamud, who threatened to kill her and her family.

Mohamud was sentenced to four-and-a-half years in prison.

According to the CBSA, Mohamud was a wanted man at the time of the Surrey incident.

He’d been on the run from authorities since May of 2004, when he failed to show up for a deportation hearing in Toronto.

Mohamud had been convicted twice for crimes of violence in Ontario, serving sentences for assault with a weapon in 1997 and assault causing bodily harm in 2002.

A Canada-wide warrant was issued for his arrest in December of 2004, but Mohamud managed to avoid being picked up by police until his arrest in Surrey.

Mohamud was rated a “very high risk for re-offending” by a psychologist who reported the Somali man continued to deny responsibility for many of his offences.

Instead of admitting blame, Mohamud blamed “voices” in his head and “racism and discrimination in the justice system.”

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Community Events, March 2017

Add an Event