Rejected refugee deported from Canada
Jose Francisco Cardoza Quinteros, the self-admitted killer who said he was once a member of the notoriously brutal Mara Salvatrucha gang, has been deported from Canada.
Cardoza Quinteros boarded a plane Thursday and returned to his native El Salvador, Canada's Boarder Services Agency (CBSA) reported shortly before 4 p.m.
"The removal of Mr. Quinteros was effected after the CBSA ensured the full due process he was entitled to under Canadian law was completed and appropriate travel arrangements were made," CBSA spokesperson Faith St. John said in a prepared release.
"The CBSA's first priority is to remove foreign nationals who pose a threat to national security or have been engaged in serious criminality."
The 30-year-old Cardoza Quinteros, who had been living with his sister in Surrey, became the focus of public concern last month when it was revealed he'd been ruled inadmissible to Canada because of ties to organized crime. The 30-year-old was initially detained on the basis that he posed a danger to the public, only to be released later.
Cardoza Quinteros arrived in Canada Sept. 2, 2007, and over the next two days, confessed to being involved in a number of violent crimes in El Salvador, including murder.
Cardoza Quinteros told officials he was convicted of armed robbery and said he witnessed between 100 and 150 killings. He also admitted to being a high-ranking member of the Mara Salvatrucha (MS-13) gang from 1999 to 2004, but was forced to quit when the gangsters thought he had turned on them.
He later recanted nearly everything he told border officials, particularly his involvement with MS-13.
Cardoza Quinteros was then ordered released on a $1,000 bond when Immigration and Refugee Board member Otto Nupponen concluded Cardoza Quinteros was not a danger to the public.
After a series of court appeals and new detention hearings last month, Cardoza Quinteros surrendered to Canada Border Services Agency April 22, and remained in custody.
Cardoza Quinteros made one last-ditch attempt to stay in Canada, but his application to stay his removal order was dismissed late Wednesday by Federal Court of Canada Justice Russell Zinn.