Accused Surrey temple president assaulted in custody, ousted as leader

Baldev Singh Kalsi. Below: Gurdwara Sahib Brookside temple Friday afternoon, as attendees conduct a 48-hour prayer session for the speedy recovery of Kalsi
Baldev Singh Kalsi. Below: Gurdwara Sahib Brookside temple Friday afternoon, as attendees conduct a 48-hour prayer session for the speedy recovery of Kalsi's wife, Narinder.
— image credit: Image courtesy of The Harpreet Singh Show

A senior facing an attempted-murder charge – after his wife was placed on life support – was hospitalized himself two days later following an in-custody attack

Surrey RCMP say 66-year-old Baldev Singh Kalsi suffered facial injuries in an assault at the Surrey Pretrial Services Centre around 8:30 p.m. Tuesday.

He is expected to make a full recovery, but remained in hospital as of Friday afternoon.

Police say the assault does not appear to be linked to the accusations against the victim, which are being investigated by the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team.

Gurdwara Sahib Brookside templeKalsi was arrested Sunday after his wife was found in severe medical distress at a home in South Surrey.

Thursday, Kalsi was removed from his position as president of the Gurdwara Sahib Brookside temple.

In a statement issued that afternoon, temple spokesman Surindar Singh Jabal and new president Sardul Singh Rehal said they are "deeply saddened" by what happened Sunday, and that temple management "categorically condemns all kinds of violence."

They say an Akhand Path – a 48-hour recital of the Sikh scripture, Sri Guru Granth Sahib – to pray for the speedy recovery of Kalsi's wife, Narinder, was to begin Friday morning at 8 a.m. in the Darbar Hall (at 8365 140 St.) and end with prayer at 8 a.m. Sunday.

According to an RCMP news release, officers have identified a 42-year-old inmate at the 14323 57 Ave. facility as a suspect in Tuesday's attack on Kalsi, and investigation by the detachment's Serious Crime Unit is ongoing.

The incident delayed a bail hearing that had been scheduled for Kalsi for Wednesday morning in Surrey Provincial Court. The hearing was postponed again Thursday morning, and finally conducted that afternoon.

Friday afternoon, a judge ordered Kalsi to remain in custody without bail.



We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Judge tosses contempt charges against oil pipeline protesters due to GPS errors
Signs of life at stalled Cloverdale mall redevelopment project
Driver who killed Surrey grandfather granted parole after serving one-third of sentence
Fraser Health gets new president
Amrik Virk advised Kwantlen on secret executive bonus
New Westminster Mayor Wayne Wright rides off into the sunset
New council regime takes over Monday
How to donate to Christmas in Williams Park
Langley man spends a month in his underwear

Community Events, November 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Nov 27 edition online now. Browse the archives.