Letters to the Editor

Practice barbecue safety

I am hoping that you can find a spot to pass on this reminder now that barbecue season is in progress.

We had a terrible accident last year with a propane tank explosion. My husband was seriously burned over most of his body. He is recovering slowly and still has a couple of surgeries ahead. He was in the hospital for several months.

Our reminder is please do not have your spare tank anywhere near the tank that is being used. They can be stored side by side, but if you are cooking, please put the spare tank some distance away.

Our accident involved a valve leak in the tank in use and because the spare tank beside got too hot, the pressure relief valve expelled propane and ignited the leaking valve into a fireball.

My husband – who was a few feet away – was engulfed in the flame for only a few seconds, but the damage was very severe. We just want this message to get to as many people so it doesn’t happen to anyone else.

 

Del Letendre

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

SFU scientist endures 180,000 bedbug bites to help defeat pest
 
Chilliwack makes online checklist to help event planners
 
Food scraps to be banned from garbage cans Jan. 1
LETTERS: Not all trees able to stand alone
 
LETTERS: Rail fencing won’t make us safer
 
LETTERS: Our cities need to protect trees
New trial ordered in fatal highway crash
 
You’re never too old to go back
 
Steveston Lifeboat pulled from the Fraser River

Community Events, December 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Dec 18 edition online now. Browse the archives.