- 2015 Federal Election
Sharks unbeaten, Premier team stops Thunderbirds
The Surrey Sharks were near-perfection the weekend of Nov. 17-18, with the local field hockey club winning five and tying one of six games played.
The biggest victory came from the women’s Premier team, which edged the 2012 national champion Point Grey Thunderbirds 3-2. Goals were scored by Angela Buttress, Lelia Sacre and Natalie Wise. The goalkeeper was Emma Cochran, and Erin de Sousa had an outstanding performance.
In other action:
- The Division 1 women’s team (Sharks 1) tied West Vancouver 1-1 with Melissa Wirsching netting the Surrey goal, and Emma Cochran stopping all but one shot.
- The Division 4 women’s team (Reef Sharks) got past the Burnaby Lakers 4-3, with two goals from Joelle Tiessen, and one each from Samantha Johnson and Mikaela Chia.
- The Division 5 women’s team (Leopard Sharks) defeated West Vancouver 5-2 West Vancouver with goals by Alex Minchella, Arla Beltrame, Sue MacRae, Sue Carreiro and Goldie Khaira.
- Another Division 5 women’s team (Fossil Sharks) won 3-1 against the first-place Vancouver Hawks with goals by Emma Fitzmaurice, Gail Krestanovich and Lauren Hill.
- The men’s competitive team (Sharks 1) got goals from Edward Aranha, Ethan Martin and Malcolm Fernandes and an outstanding performance from Mathew Tobin in a 3-2 win over the Vancouver Hawks.
A week later, two Sharks teams were undefeated in league play.
-The Division 1 women’s team, Sharks 1, won their game 7-2 against the Jokers 1. Stephanie Ryn scored five goal. Alicia Pereira and Mackenzie Deutsch scored once each. The goalkeeper was Emma Cochran.
-The men’s Competitive team, Sharks 1, tied their game 1-1 against the Jokers B. One goal was scored by Ethan Martin and the goalkeeper was Jaimud Dean.