Cup clash

Jessa Joles of the Sur-Del Sting is taken down by a Burnaby United opponent during the under-16 final of the Coastal Cup in Coquitlam. The Sting lost 2-1, but have qualified for the provincial championship tournament in July. - Daniela Ciuffa / BLACK PRESS
Jessa Joles of the Sur-Del Sting is taken down by a Burnaby United opponent during the under-16 final of the Coastal Cup in Coquitlam. The Sting lost 2-1, but have qualified for the provincial championship tournament in July.
— image credit: Daniela Ciuffa / BLACK PRESS

Girls soccer squads from Surrey went three-for-five in Coastal Cup finals last weekend at Percy Perry Stadium in Coquitlam.

The under-13 Surrey United Talons, under-15 Surrey Pegasus and the under-17 SBAA Nitro Elite all hoisted the cup. Two other teams, the under-14 Surrey United Selects and under-16 Sur-Del Sting, advanced to the championship game in their age group before they were eliminated.

The Nitro Elite scored the only two goals of the game in the second half to top the Coquitlam Metro Ford Attack 2-0.

Marlena Ginocchio netted the winning goal, finishing a cross from defender Laura Baird just after the break. Melissa Horahan added the insurance goal, converting a free kick.

“In a season which saw the Nitro playing many games with only 11 players due to injuries, this weekend’s game was no different,” said assistant coach Scott Baird. “This is just another solid win by the Nitro.”

- The Talons needed a shootout to take the under-13 cup from the Semiahmoo Thunder, after falling behind 2-0 at halftime.

Faythe Lou and Haley Wark scored in the second half to send to game into extra time.

Morgan King was named player of the game, leading a strong defensive effort from the Talons in the second half and through overtime. Goaltender Rowan Diachuk was a standout in the shootout, making three saves on six Semiahmoo attempts, then scoring the winner herself. King, Wark and Isabella Lord also scored in the tiebreaker.

- Goaltender Nimmie Banipal made an early goal from Sam Ricker stand up as the winner in a 1-0 win by Surrey Pegasus over the North Shore Reign in the under-15 final.

Ricker beat the Reign goalie with a high shot from 25 yards out just 12 minutes into the game.

“We were the slightly better team in the first half,” said coach Chris Murphy, adding several players were playing hurt after a “very physical semifinal game. In the second half, we knew we would have to make the one goal stand up.”

Banipal was a deserving choice as the game’s Most Valuable Player

“At the end, they were certainly pressing,” said Murphy. “Nimmie had to make some key saves for us.”

- The Sur-Del Sting took Burnaby United to overtime, only to fall 2-1 to the Metro League rivals.

“It was a tough game,” said Sting coach Wayne Trafton. “We gave up the winning goal with just a minute left in overtime.”

Mealie Martin netted the Sting goal, while Jennifer Castillo turned in a solid performance in her centre midfield position and Jessa Joles earned game MVP honours. Trafton credited “all 16 players” with contributing to the team’s success in the cup run.

The Sting suffered a major setback 25 minutes into the game when goaltender Sarah Johnson was taken out with a knee injury. Trafton is hoping the team’s only netminder will recover in time for the provincial tournament in early July.

- The Surrey United Selects reached the final in the under-14 age group, but fell 5-0 to the Cliff Avenue United Synergy. The Selects, the sixth place team in the Metro League with a 12-5-3 (won-lost-tied), still qualified for the provincial championship tournament. The Synergy were league champions, winning 18 and tying one in 19 games.

- The Surrey United Rage fell a game short of making the Coastal Cup final in the under-18 age group, but did qualify for the provincials by edging Langley FC 3-2 in a playoff between the two semifinal losers.

The top three teams in each age group in the Coastal Cup tournament qualify for provincials.

The Rage needed two late goals to keep their season alive. Trailing 2-1 with the game nearing full time, Surrey tied the contest when a free kick by Jessie Filion was put in the goal by Kristine Hiduk in the 89th minute. Two minutes into extra time, Nikki Byrne tallied the winner, her second of the game.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Community Events, February 2017

Add an Event